Welcome to lapb.org.uk

The Home of LochWatch Loch Awe
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Local Knowledge
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm 
Lochwatch Member

The Loch Awe spotters scheme can provide excellent local knowledge which may prove vital one day. For example each spotter can be aware of what is normal and what is not normal in their area.
In our spotting area we have a few campers often larger groups opposite who create a lot of noise and a very loud-shouting farmer who yells at his sheep/dog etc which, in bad visibility, can sound like someone shouting for help. It would be perhaps be of interest to note one particuarly foggy day since joining the Loch Awe Watch scheme I heard very aggressive shouting with some blue language thrown in. I knew I had not seen any campers early before nor indeed could I see any on the banking where they usually were, but dutifully got out my binoculars and studied the general area the shouting was coming from across the loch.
After a few minutes I noticed the farmer driving around the hill with is sheep dog yelling at the top of his voice. I then quickly asked my husband to verify that the shouting was coming from the farmer which he agreed thus our amber alert was dropped. But this could equally and did in fact sound like someone in severe distress. Since then it has happened several more times but we are now aware that it is the farmer. It does not mean we now dismiss the shouting it just means we now check the hill for the farmer first before getting alarmed. Logging the norm from the not-so-norm could be useful in different areas of the loch as this scheme gathers pace. Perhaps members could log their comments about what happens in their area which may sound alarming but is not.